140 years of the Leipzig Zoo
Leipzig Zoo is celebrating its birthday!
Discover 6 different themed worlds
Leipzig Zoo is one of the most species-rich zoos in all of Europe and has over six different themed worlds. Visiting the largest great ape enclosure in the world, Pongoland, is a particularly exciting experience for guests from all over the globe. Gondwanaland is also a one-of-a-kind experience. In this tropical adventure world, a sub-tropical 25 degrees prevails throughout the year, a temperature at which the roughly 300 animals and 24,000 plants feel quite at home. Since 2000, Leipzig Zoo has also held the title of the Zoo of the Future, impressing visitors with its modernity and holistic concept.
This year, Leipzig Zoo turns 140 years old and will celebrate this jubilee with many fantastic events.
These are the highlights of 2018, the jubilee year
- 15 to 17 Mar. – Animal-related readings at the Book Fair in the zoo
- 30 Mar. to 02 Apr. – Animal-related Easter activities with wild rally
- May/June – Opening of the converted South America themed world
- 09/10 Jun. – Festival of the continents – 140 years of the Leipzig Zoo
- 12 Jun. – Jazz concert "Bach Reflections in Jazz"
- 01 Jul. to 07 Sept. – Adventure summer with fantastic hands-on activities
- 31 Oct. – Grand Halloween Spectacle
- 03/04 Nov. – Discovery days: Animals by night
More information on individual events can be found in our calender.