Leipzig is top league: RB Leipzig - 1st national league
The Red Bulls
With RasenBallsport Leipzig e. V. - The Red Bulls of RB Leipzig brought top-flight football back to Leipzig in their promotion year of 2016. In a city with so much football history, not only passionate fans, but also non-football-fans, were happy about this.
Did you know that ...
- the German Football Association was founded in Leipzig on 28 January 1900?
- VfB Leipzig celebrated victory as the first German football champions in the 1902/03 season?
- the first stadium in Germany large enough for more than 40,000 spectators was built in 1922 in Leipzig Gohlis, and that it was called Wacker stadium (later 'Stadion des Friedens')?
- the former Zentralstadion (today's Red Bull Arena) was the largest stadium Germany had to offer at that time?
- a Leipzig city derby (SC Rotation Leipzig vs. Lokomotive Leipzig) holds the spectator record for a league game with 100,000 guests to this day?
No? Never mind! You are in exactly the right place to find out more interesting facts.
By the way, in their first Bundesliga season alone, RB Leipzig continued to write Leipzig's record-breaking football history. They remained undefeated in their first 13 games - a record for a Bundesliga newcomer. Other records of the newly promoted Red Bulls are seven wins in a row, 20 victories over the course of the season and eight away wins.
You have already bought your tickets but are still unsure of how to get to the arena. This is the best way to get there and back.
Have you travelled to Leipzig especially for the footballbut don't want to pass up the chance to see the city? Discover Leipzig in one, two or three days!
An overview of which events are taking place in Leipzig and other things to do can be found here.