Leipzig Christmas market dates all the way back to 1458. Its six areas are set in chime with the fascinating historical scenery of the Leipzig city centre. With more than 250 twinkling stalls embedded harmoniously in the historic centre, Leipzig Christmas market is not only one of the oldest but also one of the largest Christmas markets in Germany. Visitors are offered a multitude of festive delights: indulge in numerous culinary delights or explore the city’s traditional medieval market.
Traditionally, the main area of the Christmas market is Marktplatz (market square) where visitors can marvel at a Saxon spruce Christmas tree as high as twenty meters, and enjoy a wide variety of performances at the market square stage. On Augustusplatz square a 38-metre-high ferris wheel offers seasonal views from a lofty height. The Finnish village on Augustusplatz has become a classic over the years. The enticing scent of smoked salmon and fruity Glögi (a mulled wine made from berries) draws visitors to the Scandinavian tents and stalls. The historical Christmas Market of “Ancient Leipzig“ at the Naschmarkt square entices visitors with local traditional crafts and art.
Leipzig Christmas market is also valued for the many pleasures it holds for children. Be it the Fairy Tale Forest on Thomaswiese (meadow in front of St. Thomas) with its many scenes from various fairy tales or the market square stage where kids can meet Santa Claus for a chat, little visitors will definitely enjoy being here. As for grown-ups, there is a wide variety of traditional handcrafts and local food on sale.
Selection of events:
- Trombonists playing on the balcony of the Old City Hall every day
- St. Thomas Boys Choir with concerts in St. Thomas Church
- Fairytale Forest (in front of Leipzig Opera House)
- Café Zimtstern – cookie-baking for children and winter specialty coffee (Leipzig Market Square)
- Finnish village with examples of Finnish food and culture
- Anno Domini – historical Christmas Market at the Naschmarkt
- Old-style merry-go-round, a Feuerzangenbowle Christmas pyramid
- 53rd Leipzig Model Railway Exhibition